Skip to menu Skip to content
Click here or press the Escape key to leave this site now
Call the RCS helpline on 08088 01 03 02

Reporting sexual violence to the police

It is your decision about whether or not you report what has happened to the police. Our advocacy service can support you with this decision and/or offer you information about the criminal justice process.

If you decide to report to the police, you can ask to speak to a female or male officer, they will take a brief statement and notify the Rape Investigation Unit. You will be allocated a sexual offences liaison officer (SOLO) who will take a detailed statement and support you through the investigation. If the offence happened within in the past 7 days they may also arrange a forensic examination in a specialist unit. You can ask to see a female or male doctor.

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted in the last 7 days you can also contact Archway on 0141 211 8175. This is a specialist sexual assault referral centre (SARC), based in Glasgow, which can support people who are able to travel into the city. It is made up of a team of experts experienced in caring for anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted. If you attend the archway you do not have to tell the police however they can collect your evidence and store it in case you need time to think about whether you want to go to the police.


You can find out more about how the police will support you in this video.


Speak to us

We want to hear from you. Phone us on 01786 439244 or email us.

How we can help you